Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rock 'n' Roll New Orleans Half Marathon

Good race - this was a good well done event - I liked to course and our hotel was 2 blocks from my starting corral - this was a big event over 20000 runners - it had the biggest expo I have seen. It was an interesting experience as was being back in New Orleans. I had not been there for maybe 10 years. One other interesting thing was that I knew how a lot of things like street names we properly pronounced, not the usually case for me. It was fun to see the area again. The run was well done and well supported the one problem I saw was the lack of port-a-potties. Most of the places where they had them on the route there would be only one and so there were long lines which was a real pain and cause me a problem. At about mile four I got sick and needed one, the 20+ minute wait destroyed any chance of a PR on a good PR course - also I was very very uncomfortable waiting for 10 plus other runners. After the stop I recovered well and quickly so I ran several miles with out walk intervals at about miles 8 and just after I had started running my 4-1s I ran up on Bert, who was runner very well, he had passed me while waiting at the 'pottie'. I ran with Bert for while and it was so nice to run with him again that I decided to run with him for the rest of the race. I was running Bert's pace but was trying to push it just a little - I may have hurt him because he was feeling real good and was willing to push a bit also but at about 11.5 miles he had some leg cramps which slowed us down. We both did finish with Bert coming in ahead of me due having started in the corral behind me - he had wanted to run sub 4 but ran 4:01:03 - I sure hope I did not mess him up. I enjoyed the run just wish I had not gotten sick.

Rock 'n' Roll New Orleans Half Marathon

No comments: